Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Go Or Stay

I've written a new song, which I've been battling with for a long time. It's got the best melody I think I've ever written and it's taken a long time to get a structure and a set of lyrics that match. I think I've managed it, but why not come down to Mannings Bar tomorrow and be the judge yourself. Btw, it's actually not about anything at all, but rather an example of a song which is just about strong writing. Having said that I'm hoping it will resonate with people's lives if they've ever had to make a decision.

I'm still trying to decide what to call it... the choices so far are Go, Go/Stay or The Fool I Am... any preferences?

Go
==

Go if you want to go,
Stay if you want to stay,
Just don't expect me to be waiting here endlessly.
Life is a mystery, to everyone including me,
I don't pretend to know the rules,
Just don't take me for the fool I am.


They all let me down,
My body that is failing me, the words escaping me,
They crumble to the ground,
And lie there soundlessly.

But I'm never tongue-tied
I've always got something to say,
But not today so...

Chorus

It all drags me down.
The decades of misery that stained indelibly.
And left their mark on me, there for the world to see.

But I know my own mind,
Surely I'm okay if you're okay, thanks but not today so...

Chorus

Go. Stay. Go. Stay.

I don't know what I've done.
I just know someone has to pay, but not today so

Chorus

Stay if you want to go,
Go if you want to stay,
You know that I'll be waiting here endlessly.
Life is a miracle it created me it created you,
I don't pretend to know the rules,
Just don't take me for a fool,
I don't pretend to know the rules,
Just don't take me for a fool,
I don't pretend to know the rules,
Just don't take me for the fool I am.

(D. Callow 2008)

7 comments:

Joanna Cake said...

I prefer 'The Fool I am'. Nice lyrics. Is there a production up on your site yet? Or are you premiering the whole thing at your gig?

Vi said...

I think I need tyohear it first to actually decide on a name.

Utter Basketcase said...

WOW!!! How cool! I love writing songs as well! :-)

YOu're very talented!

Thanks for your comment on The Adventures of RAT GiRL!!!

*GiGGLeS* xx

Peach said...

I like The Fool I Am too

great lyrics, can you send me an mp3?


xxx

Daren said...

HMC: Thank you, that title looks like the consensus so far. The song was premiered last Thursday and this will be the second airing tonight, I'm very keen to record a version of this so, I expect early next week there will be a rough version for comments... I'll let you know.

Vi: Yes, I think that's fair enough... can't wait to tell you it's available for review!

giggle!: Thanks, and you are welcome. Very funny and creative comic strip!

Peach: Thank you... no MP3 yet, but it's top of the priority list. See you tonight? If not, then are we still on for Friday?

Utter Basketcase said...

BTW RAT GiRL Part 2 is out if you wanna go see it!! :-) xx

Daren said...

Giggle!: Very good second episode, can't wait for more! The MP3 is now available for review on the Blog, it'll only be there for a day or so, so check it out quick!!

Dxx