Thursday, January 24, 2008

CD Review: Picture Perfect / Vivid (Outfit Records)


I have a strange love/hate relationship with music. None more so than when handed a demo CD to listen too. I find it hard to do. But, of course, I should try to expand my musical vocabulary at all times and expose myself to all kinds of aural stimulation. So to that end I have decided to carefully listen to, and in fact review all the CDs I get given and here's where this will happen. Hopefully this exercise will be good for me and interesting for you... but I'm sure you'll let me know.

First up is Picture Perfect / Vivid. Now I came across this CD in central Croydon where the artist himself was selling his homemade CDs in the street. Now, I'm a sucker for an artist promoting himself so I bought a CD (£2) and vowed to listen. This was no easy task as this self-styled "mix-tape" is a daunting 20 tracks long!! Those who know me will understand that rap is hardly my forte, but I like to think I can enjoy anything good.

So what's good about the CD? Well it's certainly bombastic and in your face. You are never in any doubt who you are listening to as Vivid name-checks himself on almost every track. Actually that's something that other bands should take on board - especially live. I saw a really good Japanese band at the Hope And Anchor the other week, but they never mentioned their name and consequently I can't track their music down. The production is mixed, but mostly good without ever being special. (Btw, if you fancy hearing what I would think of as a special mix then check out Ride by A Mountain Of One - thanks for the tip Robin) It has the usual smattering of samples, some of which I couldn't place - a pitch shifted Elton John sample on Wonderful made me chuckle.

On the downside, it is very long. But I guess this kind of CD is for listening to at a banging house party where Bacardi and Red Stripe are flowing like water, with the bass turned up bowel-shakingly loud and the atmosphere hot and heavy. In which case it would probably go down well. Some of the lyrics are a bit "out there" - my favourite is "She wears my semen like Nivea face cream"!! In the end I've given it 3 out of 5, but really it should be 3.5 'cos there is one track that stuck out for me and that's Salute, which interestingly is the only track produced by Versa. Urgent strings, in your face drums and plaintive rapping make this the top track for me.

Okay, that's it for now, follow the links to check it for yourself:

http://www.myspace.com/absarmi

http://www.myspace.com/vividdonvito

3 out of 5

Next up, Rex Kwondo and my own remix of More Than Ever by Elite.

1 comment:

Peach said...

you're tagged darling!